Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available. Best of all, Joomla is an open source solution that is freely available to everyone.
What’s a content management system (CMS)?
A content management system is software that keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, much like your local public library keeps track of books and stores them. Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything you can think of. A major advantage of using a CMS is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage. Since the CMS manages all your content, you don’t have to.
So what does Joomla! offer?
Once your Joomla! site is up and running, anyone with basic word processing skills can update it by adding content, managing images and keeping company-critical data up-to-date via a simple, browser-based interface. And because it’s free and easy to use, you can focus your resources on the bit that really matters – the content.
Here are some of the core features of Joomla!
- Joomla! is absoultely free.
Ease of Use
- Efficient control of users, links, content and files;
- Search engine friendly URLs;
- Image Resizing;
- The ability to choose your WYSIWYG Editor.
- Content Syndication (RSS) enabling the incorporation of news bullteins;
- User Profiling;
- Picture Galleries;
- Contact Management;
- FAQ Management;
- Banner Management;
- Document Management;
- Mail Form;
- Built-in search facility;
- Search Engine visibility is easily controllable;
- Data manager for uploading and administering information;
- Archiving facility, enabling the re-use of content;
- Publication of content in printable, pdf or email format;
- Simple workflow system;
- Multilingual frontend;
- User Contributions.
Management & Performance
- Content Scheduling;
- Simple and expandable template and component system;
- On-line Administration;
- Asset Management;
- Simple web Statistics;
- Caching mechanism that speeds up the site’s operation.
- Content Approval;
- Email Verification and protection from spam robots;
- Login History;
- Session Management;
- Hierarchical user groups.
- Commercial Support, including Training;
- Large developer Community;
- Online Help;
- Public Forum;
- Third-Party Developers.